If you have an interesting project that you’d like to discuss, please reach out to me using the contact form at the bottom of this page.
- Building my online businesses and making connections to businesses in Japan that help foreigners with their life and work here.
- Getting new clients for my website business to increase my portfolio and build more amazing websites that help clients reach their goals.
- Meeting other entrepreneurs around the world to collaborate with.
- “The New Pioneers Academy” – I’m starting a school for critical thinking and liberal arts in Tokyo. All in English, we’re going to teach students how to succeed in the new world that has moved away from labour focus and toward the digital economy.
- “The Smart Guide to Teaching English in Japan” – the paperback of my book has just been released worldwide, and I’m really happy to be able to reach more people with this work.
Seth Godin is one of my all time favourite influencers. I strongly believe in his principles of marketing, that we need to earn permission by listening to people and helping them solve their problems. The modern ways of reaching people allow us to serve a community better than any generation before.
I have finished the Marketing Seminar course and found incredible value from it, helping me with my website work as well as finding students for my new school in the heart of Tokyo.
While all of my websites are built on WordPress, I frequently have to edit code to create the look and feel that clients want. I’m improving my coding skills in order to better do my work, and once I have a firm grasp of frontend development I’ll move on to improving my PHP and Apache skills.
- “Deep Work” by Cal Newport
Incredible book by Cal Newport all about how to work on projects that matter and avoid distractions in the modern world. Lots of parallels to draw here with my own work style, and I’ve spent a lot of the last few months trying to schedule my switch off time to help me focus on important work. My phone is now perpetually on “do not disturb” mode while I’m working, and the results have been massive for me. Highly recommended for all entrepreneurs and freelancers.
- “What got you here won’t get you there” by Marshall Goldsmith
So far a very thought-provoking book. Even top performers have trouble when they get where they are going, and learning to be reflective and realise your own weaknesses can be the difference between being respected at work and being a tyrant boss. The skills you learn moving up from the mail-room need to adapt when you’re the head of a division. Very useful.